I just finished making my first batch of hand-milled soap. It needs 24 hours to dry so I can take it out of its mold. If that doesn't happen, I would have to rebatch it. But for now, let me share with you what I did.
- Double Boiler
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups of dry grated soap base
- 1/4 tsp. of color
- 1/8 tsp. of scent
- 2 tsps. of oatmeal
- 1/4 tsp. of thyme
- plastic mold
- petroleum jelly
- Prepare the double boiler and turn on the heat.
- Pour the water into the top pan of the double boiler.
- Pour the grated soap base into the water.
- Mix it.
- Once the soap is totally melted, add the color.
- When the mixture is even, turn off the heat.
- Put in all the other ingredients and keep mixing.
- Prepare the mold by waxing it with a thin layer of petroleum jelly so the soap can easily pop out after drying.
- Pour the mixture into the mold.
Hopefully, it works out well. If not, I am planning to rebatch and superfat it with olive oil.
Ciao for now!