Monday, September 19, 2011

How to Make a Mini Vegetable Garden the Affordable Way


Below is a quick guide on how to make a mini vegetable garden without spending so much.

Materials:

- For pots, instead of buying those little plastic pots, I used ice cream bins which I've accumulated over the years. Of course they have to be washed, bleached and dried to make sure they're clean to avoid growth of fungi. I also made some holes at the bottom for drainage purposes.

- The ice cream bin cover will also serve as the flat bed to help trap the moisture as well as the soil as it drains.

- I used water directly from the faucet.
- No need for gloves. I just used my bare hands.

- If you know how to make compost and you have a rich soil in your lot, use that. As for me, Our frontyard and backyard are cemented so I had to buy a soilless potting mix from Red Earth available in Ace hardware store, Festival Mall branch. It's only about Php80.00 per pack.

- I got my seeds at Ace as well for less than Php50.00. There are also vegetable seeds available in National Bookstore, Festival Mall branch at less than Php50.00 per pack.


The most important thing to note here is that you don't have to spend a lot when making your very first mini vegetable garden. You can use things you already have. As for the seeds, they're not that expensive and you can plant one kind of seed at a time.

To be continued...

P.S.

Here's a little background as to why I seem to be suddenly interested in indoor farming or making my own mini vegetable garden:

How My Mini Vegetable Garden Started

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I am starting my own container vegetable garden as well, and I got a lot of info from reading your blogs. Thank you for that. I use organic soil though since its safer and crops will be healthier. I am a little worried since you are using a potting mix for ornamental plants it may mean that your soil has all the bad fertilizers that can leach toxins to your plants. I am growing my own vegetables so I can make sure that it is free from those synthetic fertilizers. Maybe you should check if your potting mix is safe just to be sure.
    I love reading your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty,

    Thank you so much for your feedback. I am actually beginning to worry about my plants as they are not looking so healthy these days. I think you're right. I have to find time and look for the right soil so I can repot my plants. :)

    ReplyDelete