Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Soapmaking Lingo

Before I can even start gathering my ingredients (which I plan to do this weekend), I have to learn the lingo of soapmaking. For instance, oil and fragrance are totally different from each other and must not be interchanged lest I want my concoctions to blow up in my face (hence, the need for goggles, which reminds me I still dunno where to get them... lab shops near Bambang Hospital in Manila, perhaps?)

Below are the words I need to learn, so when I follow certain recipes later on, I'd understand what I'm doing.


Additives
Aroma
Basic Soap or Soap Base
Cold Process (CP)
Detergents
Essential Oils
Fixatives
Fragrance Oils
Hand Milled
Hot Process (HP)
Melt and Pour (MP)
Rebatching
Recycling
Remelted
Saponification
Seizing
Superfatting
Trace

That's a lot! I guess, I better start memorizing the meaning of each of those words.

Read more:

SOAP MAKING HOBBY TURNED BUSINESS

2 comments:

  1. good luck, jen! don't forget my lavender soap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course Ate Rose! Just please be patient with me. I'm doing this one day at a time, while trying to maximize the free time I have. But I'll get there, don't you worry.:-)

    ReplyDelete