Wednesday, September 21, 2011

How to Plant Okra Seeds - My Mini Vegetable Garden Project

If you happen to be a lazy indoor vegetable farmer like myself, I'll share with you the most important things you need to learn when planting okra from seeds. No need to a buy book or read a ton of materials from the internet. However, you still have the option to watch videos and articles on the internet if you really want to. But if you only have a little bit of time to squeeze in in your very busy day, well, not to fret coz I've compiled a short list of what you need to do to make sure you can grow okra seeds from scratch.

For the preliminaries, please head to this short blog post: How to Make a Mini Vegetable Garden the Affordable Way

Now once you have the materials needed, do the following:

  1. Put your soil on the pot. Rectangular pots are recommended. Make sure your pot has holes for drainage purposes.You can use your own soil mix or like me, you can buy a soilless pot mix from Ace Hardware. Leave a little room for a little more soil later on.
  2. Water the soil well then wait for it to drain through the holes.
  3. Get some seeds (you can buy okra seeds at Ace Hardware or National Bookstore) and place them on the moist soil about 6 cm. apart.
  4. Then put another layer of the soilless pot mix such that the seeds are now 1/2 inch deep from the surface.
  5. Water the soil again.. just enough to keep it moist.
  6. Place the potted seeds in an area where there's a lot of direct sunlight but make sure that the soil doesn't dry out.
  7. Then wait...
  8. Okra seeds should germinate within 10-15 days.


But lucky me, in just 3 days, I already see 3 sprouts peeking at the surface! Hurray!!! I'm so proud of myself. Such a simple joy to behold! Once they're little seedlings, I can then study about repotting them which I'll also share with you. For now, I keep waiting and singing for my little okra seeds to grow. So that's how easy it is to plant okra seeds. Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment