Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My Kailan (Chinese Broccoli) Harvest




According to Wikipedia:
Kai-lan, also known as Chinese broccoli, is a leaf vegetable featuring thick, flat, glossy blue-green leaves with thick stems and a small number of tiny, almost vestigial flower heads similar to those of broccoli. Broccoli and kai-lan belong to the same species Brassica oleracea, but kai-lan is in the group alboglabra [Latin albus+glabrus white and hairless]. Its flavor is very similar to that of broccoli, but a bit bitter. It is also noticeably stronger. Broccolini is a hybrid between broccoli and kai-lan, produced by Mann Packing Company, Inc.



I shared with you before how I planted my Kailan seeds. Today, I want to show you that I've been harvesting kailan leaves for a few weeks now and it's been a staple in my diet ever since, together with my eggplant, my tomatoes, my kangkong, my okra, and even my sili (pepper). I'll soon blog about the dishes I made with it over at my food blog

At first I didn't know how to harvest my Kailan leaves. Then my hubby, Peter, just simply told me to cut the leaves so that's what I did. 


It would be wise to cut the huge leaves starting at the bottom since new ones grow at the top part anyway. Like this:
  




So now, whenever I'm hungry, I just harvest my kailan leaves as well as my other vegetables, clean them with water, and pop them in the microwave (It's not true that microwaved food is bad). You'll notice that the leaves tend to be waterproof. Wash it anyway. When you cook them whether by frying, boiling, mixing it with other ingredients, or through a microwave, you'll know that they're cooked when the leaves start turning deep green. Voila! Instant healthy meal. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment